Wednesday, May 5, 2010

More than Words

I've haven't been posting much because I have been truly consumed with reading this spring. My last book was "Green Gone Wrong" by Heather Rogers and I am currently reading "Pathologies of Power: Health, Human Rights, and the New War on the Poor" by Paul Farmer, M.D., which has lots of truly moving poetry interspersed among essays on the plight of the poor. One poem called "The Nobodies" by Eduardo Galeano, I found truly moving. Here I will share some lines with you:

...The nobodies: nobody's children, owners of nothing. The nobodies: the no ones, the nobodied, running like rabbits, dying through life, screwed every which way.
Who are not, but could be.
Who don't speak languages, but dialets.
Who don't have religions, but superstitions.
Who don't create art, but handicrafts.
Who don't have culture, but folklore.
Who are not human beings, but human resources...

Wow! That just about says it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment